The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit organization supporting Wikipedia and other Wiki projects. We operate one of the world’s top ten websites and have global reach and impact. Technology and innovation is critical in our quest to support every human in sharing knowledge.
Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a UX Designer for our Readers team.
As a designer on Readers team, you will be responsible for reading experience of Wikipedia on desktop and mobile web. Both of these products are used by billions of our readers. They sit at the heart of content consumption across our projects. You will be working with a set of talented designers to create and maintain these experiences.
- Create experiences that go beyond good design into delighting users
- Reduce, simplify, distill
- See features through from ideas on paper to implementation
- Use evaluative and generative research to inform your design decisions
- Interact with our communities from the beginning to end of your design process
- Work with our growing team of designers to create reusable design patterns
- Be an active part of the development team throughout the product process
- Distill complex concepts into simple, easy to understand talking points to effectively articulate your vision with your team and the communities
- Be the voice of design in developing product plans
The right person is better than the right set of experiences, these are the traits we’ve identified make great additions to our team so far.
- Have great instincts for making design decisions and be able to support your choices with research and data
- Being able to perform evaluative research
- Ability to tell stories that convey your design goals both internally to team members and to stakeholders
- Have a creative vision of your own while being able to work within the bounds of what is possible, and imagine what can come next
- 3+ years of experience contributing on design teams
- Background in working on web technologies and mobile web products
- Know when to switch from blue sky ideation to tactical thinking
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in related work experience
- Demonstrated judgement skills to find solutions
In addition to the basic skills needed for being successful these skills could set you apart from the pack!
- Background in content consumption and distribution
- Experience acting as researcher, both in-person and with remote participants
- Go beyond wireframes to pixel level design
- Have familiarity with Free and Open Source communities
- Speak more than one of the 286 languages of the users you’ll be designing for
- Anything else that will let us know more about who you are, WMF project user name, your blog, instagram, dribbble, Twitter, github etc.
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, babysitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short-term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people